11 Best SEO Apps for Shopify: Expert Review
- 1 Testing Methodology
- 2 1. Link Whisper
- 3 2. SEO Booster
- 4 3. TinyIMG
- 5 4. Smart SEO
- 6 5. Crush.pics
- 7 6. JSON-LD for SEO
- 8 7. Plerdy
- 9 8. SEO Manager by venntov
- 10 9. Hyperspeed
- 11 10. SEO Get Clicked!
- 12 11. SPO (SEO Product Optimizer)
- 13 Frequently Asked Questions
- 14 Final Thoughts
We’re always looking for ways to make SEO optimization easier and in Shopify ecommerce, there are countless ways to do this.
The best SEO apps for Shopify help to make SEO easier by automating some of the process while providing easy integration and access to the latest data all in one place.
We tested dozens of SEO apps for Shopify and narrowed it down to 11 of the most useful, comprehensive, and affordable apps for your Shopify store.
Let’s get into it.
Before we get started, it’s important that you understand what criteria were used when testing these Shopify SEO apps:
Range of SEO Features – Remember that search engine optimization is a blanket term to describe a lot of things from image optimization to keyword research. We searched for tools that either offered the most features or covered one single feature extensively.
Ease of Use for Beginners – Just because you own an ecommerce store doesn’t mean you want to know everything about SEO. That’s where these apps are supposed to compensate for a lack of experience by including everything in one place and making the process easy to understand.
Online Reviews – While we understand that online reviews are not always a great representation of an app, we reviewed thousands of reviews to settle on these 11 apps.
Pricing – If an app is expensive, does it have the features to back up the inflated price? We don’t want to necessarily choose an app based on the lowest price but what SEO apps for Shopify provide the best bang for your buck?
1. Link Whisper
- Helps improve SEO with proper internal linking
- Saves you a ton of time by reducing manual internal linking efforts
- Enhances user experience by making the site easier to navigate
- Focuses solely on internal linking
- May take a little bit of SEO understanding to use
- Automatic internal linking that suggests internal links based on relevance
- Fine tune your suggested links with anchor text
- Bulk editing so you can add multiple links quickly
- Includes regular scanning for broken links
- $7 per month with a 7-day free trial
The Link Whisper Shopify app is a great tool to help you save time and effort with internal linking on your Shopify store. The primary goal of Link Whisper is to suggest relevant internal links for your pieces of content and product pages.
This tool is able to intelligently suggest internal links based on the content, context, and relevance of other pages on your site. Best of all, you can even scan for broken links automatically using Link Whisper.
There are a number of customization options that allow you to filter the link results based on different topics and all the suggestions include relevant anchor text that you can adjust directly through the app.
Get started with a 7-day free trial of Link Whisper here!
2. SEO Booster
- All-in-one solution to your Shopify SEO needs
- Easy to learn and get started without any technical knowledge
- Reporting and analytics to help you track the decisions you make
- Still requires a certain level of SEO understanding
- Unnecessary expense for many since most of the tasks can be done manually
- Includes meta data optimization for title tags, meta descriptions, and alt-text
- Structured data and schema markups
- Provides analytics and reporting on keyword rankings, organic traffic, and other metrics
- Includes broken link scanning
- $39 per month, “freemium” plan, 7-day free trial
SEO Booster claims to be the main all-in-one SEO solution for Shopify but a lot of apps can make that claim. The tool does offer a vast assortment of features including metadata optimization, sitemap submitting, broken link checking, and overall site audits.
The app also offers suggestions based on the current SEO scores of your store. It integrates with Google Analytics and GSC so you can track everything directly from SEO Booster. I think this could be a great option for a simple to use SEO all-in-one tool for Shopify.
- Helps to improve page speed and core web vitals
- Designed specifically for Shopify so it’s easy to integrate
- Simple to use
- Only focuses on image optimization which a lot of other comprehensive tools can do
- The app will automatically compress images to reduce their size and ensure congruence across the site
- Manually resize images based on preferences
- Provides image optimization recommendations
- Bulk image resizing
- Alt text optimization through the app
- Starting at $1.99 per month with a “freemium” plan but no trial
If you’re in the market for a super specific image optimization app for Shopify, there is no better option. TinyIMG allows you to bulk optimize all the images across your store which can be super beneficial for stores with a lot of products and you don’t want to manually resize everything.
There are many benefits to consistent image size on your site such as loading speed, overall user experience, and core web vital best policies. Optimizing your images will ensure that everyone loads at the same speed so your site is easy to navigate and comfortable to use.
Learn more about TinyIMG here.
4. Smart SEO
- All-in-one SEO solution for Shopify
- Automate menial tasks
- Much cheaper than some other all-in-one tools
- Requires a bit of SEO knowledge to know how to use it
- Supports JSON-LD structured data
- Easily optimize metadata and alt tags
- Manage everything from the easy to use dashboard
- Generate an XML Sitemap for your store
- $9.99 per month, “freemium plan,” and a 7-day free trial
Smart SEO offers a wide range of features to help merchants improve their website’s visibility, organic traffic, and overall SEO performance.
Ultimately, if you’ve been in SEO for any amount of time, this tool doesn’t do anything overly fantastic but it keeps everything in one place which makes all the information easy to manage if you have a lot of pages.
Features like 404 error page customization, sitemap generation, and JSON-JD structured data and schema are good to have. Using the app will definitely help you boost your store’s SEO.
Click here to learn more about why Smart SEO is one of the best Shopify SEO apps.
- Improve page speed and help with Core Web Vitals
- Simple and effective image optimization
- Integrate seamlessly with Shopify
- Limited features
- Provides only a feature that many all-in-one tools offer
- Automatically compress images to reduce their size without compromising quality
- Speed up your website and ensure everything loads at the same time
- Bulk image resizing to reduce time spent on optimization
- Various compression algorithms for testing purposes
- Starts at $4.99 per month and increases as images increase, “freemium” plan, no free trial
Image optimization is important and this is one of the best SEO apps for Shopify that does it. Crush.pics allows you to compress all your product images and optimize alt tags all using the apps dashboard.
The one thing I like most about the tool is the fact that you can automate the entire process and let it run in the background while you do something else. This is great for stores that have been around for a while but you haven’t necessarily focused on image optimization.
Overall, Crush.pics provides a convenient solution for optimizing images on Shopify websites. By compressing and resizing images, it helps improve page load times, user experience, and website performance.
Learn more about Crush.pics here!
6. JSON-LD for SEO
- Improve SEO by implementing structured data using JSON-LD
- Help increase rich snippet visibility and CTR
- Easy to integrate compared to manually
- Difficult to understand for newbies
- Automatically generate structured data using JSON-LD to ensure maximum visibility
- Help increase the chances of snagging rich snippets by staying as compliant as possible
- The app allows you to customize the generated JSON-LD code to meet your specific needs
- Easily integrate with Google Merchant Center to provide accurate product data for Google Shopping
- $399 one time charge
If you ever see other Shopify stores with pricing, ratings, stock, and images directly in their Google Search results, that is through the use of JSON-LD optimization which is basically a type of code that is baked into the coding of your Shopify store.
By using this tool, it automatically imports the code to your store and helps optimize it to increase the chances of you qualifying for rich results.
It’ll automatically fill out all the Schema information to give you the best chance at getting this information onto your Google Search results which can have a dramatic impact on your rankings and CTR.
This is definitely one of the best shopify SEO apps for people who want results and don’t know how to get them. You pay the fee and reap the rewards.
Click here to get JSON-LD for Shopify!
- Plerdy’s features help you understand user behavior
- Every piece of information is driven by data on your website
- Simple to implement with Shopify
- Pricing structure that helps you grow with Plerdy
- Requires you to understand conversion rate optimization
- Can be a little complicated or overkill for newbies
- Utilizes heatmaps to see where people are interacting and falling off your store
- Records and replays user sessions to provide valuable insights
- Tracks user behavior every step of the way
- Tracks form information to see what type of people abandon and complete forms on your store
- Starts at $29 per month, “freemium” plan, 14-day free trial
Plerdy is awesome. If you’re looking for a tool that can truly help you take your store to the next level, this is the one. It uses heatmaps and session recordings to help you understand where people go in your store, what they click on, what they hover over, and where they spend the most time.
This can help you better understand where you should focus your resources and what you need to change or adjust to get people to stay on your site longer and convert more easily.
One thing I like the most is that they have a pricing structure that allows you to grow with them so even small stores can afford to start using it early on.
I highly recommend signing up for a 14-day free trial of Plerdy. This is the best SEO plugin for Shopify conversion rate optimization.
8. SEO Manager by venntov
- A comprehensive SEO solution offering a vast assortment of tools in one place
- Easy to implement
- Provides great insights using Google Analytics integration
- Will require at least a baseline understanding of SEO
- Not as affordable as some other tools
- The app allows you to easily customize meta titles, descriptions, and keywords for each page, collection, and product to improve search engine rankings and click-through rates.
- The app automatically generates XML sitemaps, making it easier for search engines to crawl and index your web pages.
- It seamlessly integrates with Google Analytics
- Provides actionable recommendations to improve your website’s SEO, including content optimization and keyword suggestions.
- $20 per month, 7-day free trial
The SEO Manager is another one of these all-in-one tools that does a lot and allows you to manage it all through their dashboard. Compared to some of the other options in this guide, I don’t find that SEO Manager does anything extraordinarily unique in comparison and the price is pretty much right in the middle.
One of the main things you can do is use the SEO suggestions of the Manager to make changes to metadata and structured data. It also integrates with Google Analytics so you can track your performance without having to leave the dashboard.
Overall, SEO Manager is a useful Shopify SEO app that you can use to optimize your store and make sure you’re not leaving any stone unturned. Click here to get started with SEO Manager!
- Hyperspeed significantly enhances page load times
- Easy to integrate with Shopify
- Unlimited image compression
- A comprehensive app that focuses entirely on page speed
- Limited to page speed features
- Surprisingly pricey
- Easily optimize images by compressing and resizing them to enhance user experience and increase loading speeds
- Implement lazy loading which ensures that images only load when they’re visible
- $49 per month, 7-day free trial
Hyperspeed was a tool I had never heard of but during my tests, I quickly learned why it’s so expensive. Take all the speed optimization tools we’ve looked at so far in the guide and you’ve got yourself Hyperspeed.
This is the best seo Shopify app for page speed because it encompasses everything that determines how fast your site loads including image optimization, code optimization, lazy loading, apps, and more.
I highly recommend giving Hyperspeed a closer look. Click here for more!
10. SEO Get Clicked!
- All-in-one SEO tool plus a few bonus features like competitor analysis and keyword research
- Help to improve CTR and rankings
- Data-driven insights all available through the dashboard
- Will require at least a baseline of SEO knowledge to use
- It enables the implementation of structured data to enhance search engine results and display additional information such as ratings, reviews, and pricing.
- Provides insights and recommendations to optimize your content, including keyword suggestions and optimization techniques.
- Includes a competitor analysis feature
- Title and metadata optimization feature
- $19.99 per month, 7-day free trial
There aren’t really any downsides to this Shopify app other than the fact that you have to pay for it. SEO Get Clicked! offers everything you could want in the best Shopify SEO app including keyword research, competitor analysis, 404 error fixing, JSON-LD structured data optimization, metadata optimization, and analytics to check it all and keep track.
Click here to get SEO Get Clicked!
11. SPO (SEO Product Optimizer)
- Designed specifically for optimizing product descriptions
- Helps with JSON-LD Google Shopping optimization
- Bulk edit options
- Limited scope focusing only on product images and descriptions for social
- Provides insights and recommendations for optimizing product titles, descriptions, and other content based on keyword analysis and search trends.
- SPO facilitates the implementation of structured data markup, such as JSON-LD.
- Customize and optimize meta titles, descriptions, and product keywords
- $15.99 per month, “freemium” plan, and 14-day free trial
While this app is primarily intended for social sharing, I think it has its role as an SEO tool as well. SPO offers search data tools, keyword research, rich snippet optimization, and image optimization which we know has a variety of positive effects on your store.
Of course, the app is slightly limited because there are other more encompassing tools that allow you to do all of this as well as other SEO features but SPO is a great option for specifically optimizing product pages and descriptions.
Click here to learn more about SPO!
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some of the most frequently asked questions I get about the best Shopify SEO apps.
What’s the best free Shopify app?
In my opinion, Plerdy is the best free Shopify app because you can get started completely for free and start upgrading to better plans as you increase your store’s revenue.
Do apps slow down Shopify?
Sometimes an app can slow down your Shopify store so it’s important to only use verified apps that automatically integrate with the platform.
Do you need an SEO app for Shopify?
Yes, it’s important to have SEO apps for Shopify if you intend to rank for organic traffic. Tools like Link Whisper and SEO Booster are not even optional in many cases because you need to do internal linking and on-page optimization if you intend to rank for anything.
Ultimately, the best Shopify SEO apps will only get you so far. It’s all about learning what they do and implementing them regularly to get results. I highly recommend using Link Whisper and SEO Booster alongside each other to ensure ultimate website SEO optimization. Click here to get the Link Whisper Shopify app!